Sunday, December 19, 2010

Indian Snacks Taste Test, Take 2!

Panchrattan!!
I've actually heard of this stuff. It's described in the first couple of pages of The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri.

"On a stick August evening two weeks before her due date, Ashima Ganguli
stands in the kitchen of a Central Square apartment, combining Rice Krispies
and Planter's Peanuts and chopped red onion in a bowl. She adds salt, lemon
juice, thin slices of green chili pepper, wishing there were mustard oil to pour
into the mix. Ashima has been consuming this concoction throughout her
pregnancy, a humble aproximation of the snack sold for pennies on Calcutta
sidewalks and on railway platforms throughout India, spilling from newspaper
cones. Even now that there is barely space inside her, it is the one thing she
craves. "

Curry leaves? What? I thought curry was a blend of spices. You mean to tell me there is a curry plant and that I could have been growing it and putting it in everything this whole time?
Please leave the membrane talk elsewhere. It just sounds gross.

It looks and smells promising.

Yeah. It's good stuff. Ryan approves. Yes, he is in a robe, with a neck pillow. We like comfy times, O.K.?
Maybe if I'm knocked up in the near future, I'll make Ryan run up to the Indian grocery store down the street and get me some of this. It is really good. A very unique blend of things. I loved the spice. This one bag has gone a long way, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment