Wednesday, December 5, 2012

12 Cookies of Christmas - Cracker Brittle

I LOOOOVE these! They are so addictive. These, and gingerbread men are the 2 things I remember my Mom making during my childhood Christmases. My Mom never used a recipe, so when trying to duplicate them, I first tried winging it from what I remembered. They either turned out too soft and felt like greasy mush, or too crispy and cracked into a million pieces when I tried to pull them out of the pan. The recipe I found is great, and tastes exactly like my Mom's version. I've seen others that call for nuts sprinkled on top, or even decorative sprinkles, but I'm going to keep it dry and simple. I really hope some of you try these because they are so delicious. Don't be weirded out by the idea of crackers in a cookie. They make these salty and sweet in a good way, like reece's cups!

Cracker brittle

Here are all the crackers laid out. I used a few more than the recipe called for, and laid them out on parchment paper on a cookie sheet with a lip so that they'd be easier to pull off.

Cracker brittle

butter and brown sugar. A match made in cookie heaven.

Cracker brittle

The instructions in the recipe below give perfect boiling times.

Cracker brittle

Normally, it will cover the crackers a little better, but I used a few more than called for, so it didn't spread as thin.

Cracker brittle

Some of the toffee stuck to the pot, and peeled out easily. During this intermediary cooking phase, it tasted and felt like the silkiest caramel. Note for the future, if I ever wanted to make caramel.

Cracker brittle

You stick it in the oven for a few more minutes to finish cooking.

Cracker brittle

I forgot to take a photo before I spread the chocolate chips all over it.

Cracker brittle

The first bite has been taken. There's no going back.

Cracker brittle

I promise that all of your friends, family and coworkers will go bananas for this stuff!

Here is the recipe that I used from The Girl Who Ate Everything
http://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/2011/03/saltine-cracker-toffee.html


No comments:

Post a Comment