Beans & Rice is our #1 go-to meal when we're broke. It's also one of our favorite things to make and eat, so we're in luck. Since we had to pay rent, both our student loans, 2 sets of plane tickets and a boatload of medical bills this past week, we're down with the poor food. Also, black eyed peas are good for the New Year.
And that brings us to my friend, Lara. She's an herbivore and doesn't like bell peppers. I thought I'd whip up this version of Hoppin' John for her. We couldn't believe how delicious this was. Ryan asked for it again tomorrow.
- one can of black eyed peas, drained & rinsed*
- one large vidalia onion, chopped
- one veggie bouillon cube
- one clove chopped garlic
- seasonings ( I like using montreal steak )
- one tablespoon of olive oil
- prepared brown rice
- throw first 6 ingredients in a crock pot with a 1/4 cup of water. Cook 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- serve over rice.
*rinsing canned beans gets rid of 60% of the sodium or something crazy like that